The latest Annual Population Survey data, released by the Office for National Statistics on 18 January 2017, showed Bexley having 120,800 residents in work in the 12 months to September 2016. This gave Bexley a new 5-year employment rate high of 79.3%.

We have produced a labour market infographic highlighting the key findings. This can be downloaded by here.


Resident Data

The data in this section relates to people who live in Bexley, but whose work (where applicable) will include those who work outside of the borough.

Employment Rates


The latest data gives Bexley the fourth highest working age employment rate of any borough in London.

The working age unemployment rate hit a new 5-year low. At 4.8%, Bexley’s working age  unemployment rate is the 10th lowest of all London boroughs and below the rate seen London-wide and across Great Britain.

Not included in the working age employment rates, but having an increasing impact on employment are the Bexley residents aged 65 and above. In the 12 months to September 2015, the employment rate for this cohort was 4.7%. Fast forward to the 12 months to September 2016 and the employment rate had risen to 6.4%. According to this latest data, over 1 in 10 Bexley male residents aged 65 and above are in paid work.

Full-time / Part-time Split

Almost a quarter of Bexley’s employed residents are in part-time work. The split in the 12 months to September 2016 showed 75.2% of Bexley’s employed residents in full-time work, with the remaining 24.8% in part-time work.

Supporting this change is the data showing that the number of Bexley residents in part-time work increased by 29.9% compared to a year before. This is the greatest 12 month increase in 5 years and puts the number of part-time employed Bexley residents at a level not seen since the 12 months to September 2011.

Occupational Growth and Decline

The greatest occupational growth in the 12 months to September 2016 compared to the year before was in the upper middle skilled protective service occupations. There were 3,400 more residents working in these occupations.

Not far behind was the number of residents working in the upper middle skilled business and public service associate professional occupations. This grew by 3,100 in the 12 months to September 2016 compared to the previous year.
The greatest occupational decline was seen in the lower middle skilled caring and personal service occupations. This group accommodated 3,200 fewer Bexley residents in the 12 months to September 2016 than it did a year earlier.

The group only just made the greatest decline, however, as just behind was the low skilled elementary administration and service occupations, with 3,100 fewer Bexley residents working in these occupations compared to the previous year.

The Skill Level Split

Fewer than 1 in 10 of Bexley’s employed residents are in low skilled work. At a decrease of 3.5 percentage points, this is the biggest shift of any skill level compared to the previous year.

It means that 56.3% of Bexley’s employed residents work in the upper middle and high skilled occupation groups, with this figure being 5.6 percentage points higher than in the previous year.

Low (7.6%) Lower middle (36.1%) Upper middle (31.7%) High (24.6%)

Workplace Data

The data in this section relates to jobs in Bexley, including people who work but do not live in the borough. Please note that, as the Annual Population Survey is a survey of people (not businesses), data on job numbers and job growth is deemed less robust than other surveys and should only be considered as representative.

Job Growth

Compared to the 12 months to September 2015, the number of jobs in Bexley grew by 10.8% in the 12 months to September 2016 to reach 74,700.

Of those jobs, 68.8% were full-time with the remaining 31.2% part-time. Despite making up a smaller percentage of jobs in the borough, the number of part-time jobs grew by 34.3% from the previous year while the number of full-time jobs grew by 4.3% over the same period.

Worker Demographics

The gender split of Bexley’s workforce remains fairly even with 52.7% of Bexley’s job being held by a male and the remaining 47.3% being held by a female.

The data also shows something interesting – Bexley’s workforce is getting both younger and older at the same time.

13.4% of the jobs in Bexley are held by a person aged 16 to 24, up 4.2 percentage points from the previous year. At the same time, an estimated 3.3% of Bexley’s jobs are held by a person aged 65 and above. A year before, this figure was 2.2%.

These age cohorts are putting the biggest job share squeeze on Bexley’s workforce aged 25 to 49. In the 12 months to September 2015, this age cohort made up 56.2% of Bexley’s workforce. The most recent data shows that this has fallen to 52.9%.

Occupation Growth and Decline

The greatest occupational growth between the 12 months to September 2015 and the 12 months to September 2016 was in the high skilled science, research, engineering and technology professionals occupations. This group showed an additional 2,200 jobs over the period.

Matching this occupational growth by number were the upper middle skilled business and public service associate professional occupations and the lower middle skilled administrative occupations.
At the other end, the greatest occupational decline over the period was seen in the low skilled elementary administration and service occupations. There were 3,200 fewer jobs in this group compared to the previous year.

Also seeing a strong fall in numbers were the caring and personal service occupations. This group saw 1,800 fewer jobs in the 12 months to September 2016 than in the previous year.

The Skill Level Split

Almost half of Bexley’s jobs are in upper middle or high skilled occupations. This is 5.5 percentage points higher than the year before.

And while the share of lower middle skilled occupations has also increased, the share of low skilled jobs has fallen from 14.3% in the 12 months to September 2015 to 6.9% in the 12 months to September 2016. This demonstrates Bexley’s continuing shift towards a higher skill demanding labour market.

Low (6.9%) Lower middle (44.6%) Upper middle (29.2%) High (19.3%)

The next data release from the Annual Population Survey (covering the 12 months to December 2016) is due for release on the 12th April 2017. We’ll post an update on the latest information once the data has been released an analysed.

Iconography from various artists at the Noun Project.


120,800 in-work residents give Bexley a new employment rate high
Tagged on: