Following the introduction of a new legal requirement, approximately 30 Bexley workplaces will need to publish details of their gender pay gaps before April 2018*. The move is part of attempts to fight workplace discrimination.

Businesses with 250 or more employees must publish a snapshot of their employee pay as at the 5th April 2017 if they are a private business or charity, or as at the 31st March 2017 if they are part of the public sector. Those who fail to meet the deadline will be contacted by the Equalities and Human Rights Commission and those who discover they have a gender pay gap will be encouraged to create and publish an action plan to address the problem.

Business will be required to publish 6 sets of pay data:

  • The percentage median hourly gender pay gap figures, which will compare the mid-point of all male workers on the business payroll to the mid-point of all female workers
  • The percentage mean hourly gender pay gap figures, which will compare the total hourly earnings of all male workers divided by the total number of male workers to the total hourly earnings of all female workers divided by the total number of female workers
  • The percentage median gender pay gap of bonus payments made to male and female workers
  • The percentage mean gender pay gap of bonus payments made to male and female workers
  • The proportion of male and female workers receiving bonus payments
  • The proportion of male and female workers in each quarter of the pay structure

Further details on the requirement, including how to calculate and publish your data if your business is affected, can be found at http://genderpaygap.campaign.gov.uk


Based on data from the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings, Bexley workplaces (of all employee head-counts) had the following gender pay gaps on 5th April 2016:

  • Gross median hourly pay of all workers: 23.8%
  • Gross median hourly pay of full-time workers: 9.4%
  • Gross median hourly pay of part-time workers: 6.0%
  • Gross mean hourly pay of all workers: 19.8%
  • Gross mean hourly pay of full-time workers: 14.4%
  • Gross mean hourly pay of part-time workers: 11.7%

And Bexley’s workforce demographic showed:

  • 49.2% of the whole workforce was male with the remaining 50.8% female
  • 61.4% of the full-time workforce was male with the remaining 38.6% female
  • 25.0% of the part-time workforce was male with the remaining 75.0% female**

* Data from the ONS UK Business Counts – Local Units dataset returns 30 local units of 250 or more employees in Bexley in 2016. This data is rounded to the nearest 5.

** The number of male part-time workers in Bexley’s workforce in 2016 was considered statistically unreliable and so this figure is an estimate.

30 Bexley Workplaces Required to Publish 2017 Gender Pay Gap Details
Tagged on: